The Quest for Matisse

Monday, October 09, 2006

Report from a volunteer for a 1920 census search

I found a genealogy web site where volunteers that have hard-copy census records help people with searches. Here is the response I received:

"I found this listing for NYC in 1920:
Eugene, 70, and Vincenza Matisse, 74, both born in Italy and both arriving in the US in 1885; they reside in the home of a Jennaro and Emily Barone on East 118th Street in Manhattan's 20th Assembly District, in 1920. Eugene is a printer in a shop.
Also in the home are the children and mother of Jennaro; the children are: Salvatore, Lucy, Eugene, Vincy, Mary, Olga and Josephine and the mother is Lucy, age 84, born in Italy. Emily and all the children were born in NY, while Jennaro was born in Italy. He was a woodcarver in a shop. Emily's parents were born in Italy.
Good luck!"

These people are awesome! Volunteering to help others on their search. I am very impressed and grateful that a complete stranger would help us. There are certainly good folks out there!!!
I find again the different spellings interesting.
I will work on getting the actualy census record myself to confirm this information. The plot thickens...

This also gives us a clue to find the immigration record for 1885! More clues!!!!!!
Who is Emily Barone???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home